DEV-Talk 2.6 – DLC

Welcome back Travelers, to continue reading this post please pay $4.99!


Just kidding, this post is actually completely free!!  But, don’t you hate it when your favorite game releases new content that you need in order to keep playing the game normally, and the developer charges you for it?? cough EA cough cough….  The best example of this is seen in Battlefield DLC, that without purchasing DLC, your gameplay experience becomes severely restricted as game modes and server playlists all require DLC to play.

This unfortunately has further evolved into developers creating DLC roadmaps before even developing the game.  Where the plan their game around DLC, often taking the base game, cutting it down, selling 60% with the other 40% available as DLC.  This is not acceptable.  I recognize that this is probably the best business practice in terms of making money, which is the goal of any business.  But, you also want to provide your customers with a product that they want to buy, otherwise you will lose all your sales.  And this is the problem gamers face with the industry, that we would rather overpay or purchase unnecessary DLC for games because we want the game, rather than forgo purchasing it in order to send a message to the developer.

Luckily, with the big EA Battlefront debacle last year, developers are finally starting to take notice and listen more to players complaints and suggestions.  And with the gaming industry growing exponentially every year and there is more competition in the market, developers are now have to earn our dollars, rather than take them from us cause their is no other alternative for us to play.

After that nice tangent, lets look at probably the best example of DLC, Witcher 3.  What an amazing game, with so much content, depth, time and effort put into the game.  After 100 hours of slogging through the main game, CD Projekt Red gifted us with 2 massive expansions adding dozens of more hours of content.

We have seen the good and the bad all over the gaming industry, but as consumers, you need to remember this important piece of information.

Developers are running a business.  A business’ goal is to make money.  If you aren’t making money you can’t afford to stay in business.

So next time as a consumer, when you get upset at EA for gouging your wallet with their micro-transactions and DLC costs, take a brief second amid your divine hatred, and remember they are a business with obligations to their shareholders.  Then you may resume hating them, because despite having those obligations, good business have similar obligations to their consumers to deliver quality and satisfactory products/experiences.


Who are some developers you think really care about their players?  What are some that couldn’t care less?

Check next week for a new DLC for DEV-Talk 3.0!!  Don’t forget your towels travelers!!


DEV-Talk 2.0 – Micro-Transactions

Welcome back Travelers!!

Welcome to the first of a 3 part series on Micro-Transactions, Loot-Boxes, and DLC!!


Today we are talking about micro-transactions, the scum of gaming today.  To understand the concept, we must go back to their beginning.  When smart-phones really took off with the launch of the iPhone back in 2007, there was suddenly a new mark of games and applications we refer to as “Apps”.  Many of these apps were free, but how do you make money on something that is free?  Add extras…  the most common example of this that many games using, is in-game currency, you can pay money for more credits, or boosts and other bonuses.

The problem with this kind of micro-transaction is that it alters gameplay, it gives paid players an unfair advantage over non-paid players.  This purposeful imbalance / game design makes players want to spend money or quit.  The other issue with this is that children don’t understand the concept of money let alone micro-transactions, so without some sort of block or restriction, these companies are making millions off of children buying these items with their parents credit cards.

Some of the better, acceptable types of micro-transactions are those that don’t affect gameplay.  The best example of this is League of Legends.  With their in-game currency, you can only purchase cosmetic items, nothing that remotely affects or changes gameplay.  This allows games to be decided on players and their skill rather than whose wallet is bigger.


This is a brief post on Micro-Transactions, something many of us could talk about till we are blue in the face.  Fly by soon for DEV-Talk 2.3 – Loot-Boxes!!

Catch you on the other side Travelers!!